Borrowing From the Library
Library Borrower Cards & Accounts
Massachusetts residents of a city or town currently certified in the State Aid to Public Libraries program may obtain a Public Library borrower card at the circulation desk with valid proof of address. Your Canton Library Card may be used at all libraries in the Old Colony Library Network (OCLN). Please remember: ◦ You must have your OCLN card with you to borrow or reserve library materials ◦ You are responsible for all materials borrowed on your card even if you loaned it to another person ◦ Please notify us immediately if your card is lost ◦ There is a $2 fee for replacing a lost card ◦ Let us know of any change in your name, address, phone, or email ◦ We recommend that each family member have and use their own card ◦ Please be aware that policies on borrowing may differ from library to library even among OCLN members
If you do not have an OCLN card, you may register for an eCard number online and place holds immediately.
Once you have your eCard number please be sure to visit the Canton Public Library and have your eCard upgraded to a permanent library card. You must provide proof of identity and address before you can check out materials.
Fines and Fees Policies
The Canton Public Library has eliminated most late fees for Canton materials with the following exceptions: museum passes and some circulating technology.
- Dated museum passes that must be returned are subject to at $5.00 per day late charge if they are not returned by 11:00AM the day after they are used. This enables the next patron to visit the museum on their scheduled day.
- Some high demand circulating technology will incur a $1.00 per day late charge if not returned on the due date. Items will be clearly marked indicating late fees apply.
- Items not returned 30 days after the due date will automatically be set to lost by our system, and a bill notice for the replacement cost of the items will be sent to the patron. If the material is returned, the bill for the replacement item will be waived.
- Lost or damaged materials will be charged the list price of that item, or, when not available, a default price for the items in the lost material's category. If you have lost an item belonging to another library payment must be made by check made out to the owning library.
- Borrowing privileges are automatically suspended when total fees due on your account exceed $5. Please note, we can not waive late fees incurred from overdue materials owned by another OCLN Library.
|Material Type||Loan Period||Renewability|
|New Fiction / Bestsellers||2 weeks||Renewable unless on hold|
|Circulating collection||2 weeks||2 renewals|
|Videos||2 weeks||Renewable unless on hold|
|Magazines||1 week||No renewals|
|Audiobooks or Music on CD||2 weeks||2 renewals|
|Museum Passes||1 day||
|DVDs||1 week||1 Renewal
|DVDs, Multi-Part||2 weeks||1 Renewal|